Friday, September 3, 2010

Godzilla!

Godzilla! One of the most iconic films of all time. When I think of Godzilla I’m sent back to a time when I was a little guy who stayed up late to watch old black and white movies on public access channels. Godzilla was the old horror movie to turn to when looking for  an old cheese-ball flick to fall asleep to. 
 I haven’t seen this movie in entirety before so it was interesting to see how the story folded out. I had never known that there was an original completely in Japanese, and was only familiar with the remake which we watched in class. When the word “Godzilla” is said I think of cheesy special effects, strange sound effects at inappropriate times (screaming noises when a car is blown up from Godzilla’s powers), and over the top acting. Not once had it ever occurred to me that there was actually some substance to this film at all.
    Until now I hadn’t known of the Lucky Dragon incident. The Japanese had finally (to a point) moved on from what had happened in the past and was determined to go on with their lives. Boom. Sideswiped by the Lucky Dragon incident, and then further when Russia continued to test in Japanese waters. Knowledge of this incident alone gives an entirely different feel to the film. I realize now how strange this film really is. Godzilla manages to be a social commentary on the U.S, a social commentary on Japan, a kids movie, a horror movie, and a cinematic icon all at once. There are two groupings within the list previously mentioned that contradict each other in a very dynamic way.
     First this film is both a horror movie and a kids movie at the same time. Have you ever seen another example of this? I’m pretty sure I’ve never considered leather face to be a heavily popular figure among children. Godzilla on the other hand was a coveted toy to many children, and what little boy can’t say that he hasn’t demolished/destroyed the lives of thousands of lego-people in the entire span of his childhood. It’s fun to watch Godzilla destroy the obviously model-created cities which lay before him, but it’s also scary stuff to think about. The horror aspect of Godzilla comes from the fear of nuclear power and the overall thought that any tragedy could happen at any given time with no notice. Children don’t think about incidents like that, so it’s understandable why kids love a figure which brings death to thousands.
     Secondly this monster movie contradicts itself in a symbolic fashion.  Godzilla both represents the U.S, and Japan during the cold war. What? Needless to say “Godzilla and the Japanese Nightmare: When "Them!" Is U.S.” by Chon Noriega confused the hell out of me. I gave this article a good deal of my attention but in the end still found myself in a mess of confusion. The major roadblock for me here was the concept of “the other”, and how both countries could be identified as the monster in the film. Class discussion cleared this up for me a bit. I can see now that the monster represents the Japanese as a figure which is left to fix a problem after tragedy has occurred. The monster also represents the U.S as a symbol for the H-bomb dropped by the U.S. How the writers of this movie managed to have the monster represent two countries which were so different and at such different places is beyond me, but pretty interesting to see.
     I think that if I saw this movie when it came out I would be a bit frightened. Godzilla shares what all great figures in horror share. Trauma. Fear. All of the great horror figures in cinema represent a fear or trauma. We covered just about all of the examples in class, but realizing this made it easier for me to understand why people thought that this cheesy black and white movie was at one time pretty frightening. I didn’t find myself cringing in class while viewing this movie, nor did I have to turn my head away at any point. In fact I found myself laughing more than anything, but I understand now that Godzilla represented this fear of nuclear death, which is something I cannot fully relate to as part of a younger generation. A class member, Tim, said something that I found quite interesting. “People are afraid of what they don’t know”. He went on to state that people back then weren’t necessarily afraid of the bomb itself, but of the aftermath. We knew to a point what would happen if we set off the bomb, but there were still a lot of questions to be answered.
     In conclusion, I thought that this movie was not only entertaining, but useful in getting to know how people thought during the Cold War. All of these fears and feelings were put into something which lasted years as a cinematic icon: Godzilla. Who knew that something so cheesy and old really had so much substance behind it.

6 comments:

  1. I'm going to post an excerpt from my blog (because I thought I was supposed to do it this week until now) about what I took away from the reading.

    The article got me to thinking about the other movies in the Godzilla collection, specifically whether or not all of the Godzilla movies always were referencing some sort of global threat. In the reading, it mentioned that the movies that included Mothra also included some Soviet Union involvement, which made some gears start to turn. After some brief research (i.e. Wikipedia), I discovered that Mothra was first introduced in 1961. Being a flying creature, and having the Soviets being involved, the first thing I thought of was the space program. Sputnik I was launched on October 4th, 1957, and was initially designed with the capability to carry nuclear armaments. A month after Sputnik I was launched, Sputnik II sent the first living creatures into space, two dogs. In 1960, Sputnik IV sent a number of animals into space, which all returned safely. Although this is only one example, this does lead me to believe that most of the Godzilla movies are based upon worldwide advancements, be they positive or negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, a lot of what you said was very interesting and your analysis of the movie really made me think. I too watched this movie as a little kid and really thought nothing of it. It scared me a bit when I was younger but it kinda scares me even more now that I understand all the elements of the movie. It is so crazy to think that the movie was based of such tragic events and even that America made a remake to define “our version.”
    I wanted to touch on another point you said too. You talked about how crazy it was for children to be playing perhaps with a Godzilla toy and compared it to kids destroying lego figures. Well I thought this was interesting because I too destroyed my lego towns. I like the idea of human archetypes. Basically, the “otherness” of humans that becomes exposed through innocence and ignorance. We like things to destruct, because it’s hidden in our minds to do so. It’s the animalistic tendencies that cause us to do things like say a serial killer is terrible but investigate and want to know more about the crimes. It’s not socially acceptable to have these feeling, but when you see a child destroying something it’s really the archetype coming out in my opinion.
    Also, on a final note, the idea ties into the fact that people were terrified of what they didn’t know. Why do you think it was recommended for Americans to have a gun for their bunker? It’s the basic principal of survival of the fittest; the longest running human attribute in the archetypal complex known to man. Because we have a fight or flight tendency to do so we become almost primal in a time of fear . . . i.e. when a huge monster is destroying our nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have brought up a bunch of good talking points in your post. First the idea is that godzilla being a cold war anti nuclear commentary on U.s. nuclear power to begin with. But some how it became a world wide star. No matter where you go in the world people know the name godzilla. The interesting thing is how kids have found the creature so appealing. I like all kids built lego towns and distorted them as fast as i could. And really what kid doesn't like dinosaurs. I think a lot of why he became so popular with kids was the way he was marketed after the movie came out. If your going to make toys your already trying to target kids. THey must have quickly realized that kids for some reason identified with this city crushing monster. This would of been in the early days of following a movie with as many promotions as possible to get people exited. They went on to make like over 20 other movies and a TV series; so they had to find ways to keep people interested.
    I think the main idea with the concept of “the other” deals with how this movie shows how the Japanese viewed the U.S. I found it interesting from the reading that the hollywood films from the beginning to now, really don't show a version of how other countries view us. And the fact is this more then likely done on purpose. As Americans we always feel like we are the best and we certainly don't want another country pointing out our short comings and our bad ideas. I personally its a good thing to watch some foreign films to starts to get an objective outside view at how others portray us.
    I have to agree with the opinion in class on how we are afraid of the things we don't know. Thats why the deep ocean is so scary. The fact is no matter what government films where played to people, they still didn't really know jack about atomic bombs and radiation poisoning. And we have seen throughout history how ignorance begets fear. now on top of that you add theatrical movies that make ignorant people think that giant monsters good be real. For most of us its not hard to dismiss these idea but for people back then they just didn't know and didn't have the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a lot of interesting points that were brought up here. First of all, it's so true that I myself have never seen the whole movie and could only remember bits and pieces of Godzilla stopping the city to pieces. I never realized this movie had so much meaning behind it. I thought it was just a cheesy, bad horror movie. I also had no idea that the Lucky Dragon had anything to do with this movie. For me, as soon as I found out what Godzilla was really about, I looked at the movie in a completly different way. I couldn't help but feel bad either. Finally they think that the terror and fear is over and then the Lucky Dragon incident happens. The movie really does have completely different ways it can be looked at too. In the article, there was a long paragraph all about how Godzilla the monster was a childs hero almost. Lunch boxes, t-shits, toys, etc. filled almost all the homes with children. How ironic that this is suppossed to be a scary movie about something so serious? Even if children (from all around the world) were like he said, playing with lego's and crushing everything to a pulp - they may not have known Godzilla but I bet that's where this all originally came from. Weird. Another way to look at the movie would be from an adults perspective. If you were an adult living during this time in Japan, I could see how it could be almost terrifing to watch. This was real life to those people and it was a possibility that a "symbolic" Godzilla could really happen. This was all going through my head as I was laughing during some of the movie. There was bad voice overs, not so great actors, Godzilla eating trains, stomping the city, and of course setting the city on fire. It seems like a figment of someone's imagination that they just all of a sudden made up for cinematic purposes. That couldn't be farther from the truth though.
    I was also a little confused by the "otherness" it talks about in the article. I understand it better know and like the quote that he has in his blog about people are scared about what they don't know. That is still true today. It oculd be something small like going to see a horror movie and not knowing what is going to happen next or something much greater like 9/11 where were still living in some of the aftermath and people are scared to do certain things or that it could happen again.
    I'm glad I saw this movie the whole way through and really understoof what it was about. I never will be able to look at any of the Godzilla movies the same way again. It opened my eyes to a whole different situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some good discussion here. Keep in mind that it wasn't so much this movie that caught on with kids as the subsequent ones which involved Godzilla working with kids to save Japan. Though I definitely take the points you're making about how much fun destruction is for kids.

    Keep in mind also that the monster was Japan as well as the US because Japan _started_ the war with the US in the first place (Pearl Harbor and all). And post-war Japanese culture was an industrial, emergent monster.

    The Other is a term that refers to the characteristics that one group projects onto another--specifically characteristics that it does not like to acknowledge about itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete