This was definitely one of the strangest movie’s that I’ve seen. While we’ve watched some pretty strange movies in this class so far, I can actually say that I understood and enjoyed this film. I guess it helps that I’m a Dennis Hopper fan. I really enjoyed the look of this film. At first I thought it would be a very bright and vibrant 80’s film, but was happily surprised when it turned into a pretty dark commentary on the underbelly of society. This film was dark and quirky but not nearly as strange as Repo Man, which was a bit too off the wall for my taste. I love Lynch’s ability to come off as sarcastic with his camera angles and use of color. I was one of the first in class to say that I thought that he was being sarcastic by offering these picture perfect images that looked as if they could have been painted. I enjoyed the film’s return to the film-noir genre. The darker scenes, the damsel in distress and the strange villain really made me feel as if I were back in time watching an old crime film noir classic at times. The reading was finally direct and understandable. I agree that this film had a deeper commentary than just a crazy bad guy raining hell on this poor woman. In conclusion I would say that I am happy that this film was a part of our collection in this class and would happily watch it again. I would also love to see more Lynch films to see if his commentary comes of as strongly in other films as it did in this one.
Lynch films definitely bear repeat viewing, and it also gets interesting to watch several of them, chronologically if possible, along with his 90s tv series Twin Peaks, which is amazing.
ReplyDeleteYour sort of touch on topics here, and mention the reading, but I'd have liked to see you work more closely with the concepts.